Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

can dogs eat grapes

Can dogs eat grapes? The answer is NO! Grapes are bad toxic to dogs. This also goes for raisins as well, as they are just dried grapes. They are known to be deadly to dogs, with a highly toxic level to dogs.

Now, this also includes peeled or seedless grapes. It doesn’t matter if a dog is a particular breed or a certain age; they should all avoid grapes and raisins at all costs… So basically, it is a big no! to “can dogs eat grapes”. Knowing that your dog cant eat grapes is very important, it is one of the most toxic foods for your dog.

Why Can’t Dogs Have Grapes?

The toxicity level in grapes/raisins can be deadly, which can lead to acute kidney failure throughout your dog. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center receives thousands of calls involving grapes and raisins each year. In 2017 ASPCA reported about Leah’s Close Call, a handful of grapes nearly cost her, her life. So, can dogs eat grapes? NO!

They have an Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435, there is a $60 fee though, but worth it.

Signs and symptoms that your dog may have ingested toxic material

  • Increased thirst and/or their urine production changes. They are hardly urinating, or they have completely stopped altogether.
  • Dehydration (Signs that can help you are panting, dry nose and mouth, pale gums). One of the quickest ways to check for dehydration in your dog is gently pulling up the skin on your dogs’ neck, the back of it. It should spring back straight away.
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, this will often happen within a few hours.
  • Unusual stillness, weakness, and tremors
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures
  • Abdominal pain (tender when you touch them)
  • Kidney Failure (This can be deadly to your dog)
  • Coma
  • Oral Ulcers

dogs cannot eat grapes

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, then treatment is needed straight away. You will need to contact your veterinarian; they may suggest that you induce vomiting as soon as possible.

Although, if your dog is having trouble breathing or showing exhibiting signs of distress, unconscious or you are not sure what they have eaten, then you should not. Your local veterinarian will be able to give you the best advice if this ever happens, as they will know the exact circumstances.

If you must induce vomiting with your dog, you should not force vomiting if they have already vomited. Now if your veterinarian has advised you to induce vomiting, they will explain what you must do. If they haven’t, below is a guide on how too from PetMD.

You may also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More